Tomato Pasta Sauce
Tasty and rich, this easy-to-make tomato sauce is great with pasta and can be made in advance and reheated. It's low in salt and fat, and is perfect for vegetarians too.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan or frying pan. Cook the onion on a medium heat until it's soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Make sure the pan is not too hot when you add the garlic, as it burns easily. Burnt garlic will make the sauce taste bitter.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and mixed herbs.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes until the sauce is thick and rich.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and serve topped with fresh herbs.
- Add a tin of tuna or some sliced vegetables to the sauce at step three. Try mushrooms, peppers or courgettes.
- Use the sauce as a pizza topping. Just sprinkle with grated cheese and your favourite vegetables.
- Pour the sauce over fish fillets and bake in the oven at 180°C or gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes.
Allergy advice: This recipe contains wheat (gluten). Some pasta contains egg, so always check the label. Some tomato purées contain wheat.
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start cooking
- wash or peel raw vegetables before use, as this will help clean them and remove any harmful bacteria that might be on the outside
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- a pinch of mixed dried herbs
- pepper to taste
- 210g uncooked pasta
The reference intake of an average adult is 8400kJ/2000kcal a day.