A zesty protein-rich dish, not to be confused with lemon chicken. Try serving it with brown rice and some green beans.
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the onions over a low heat for two to three minutes.
- Cut the chicken breast into large pieces and coat each piece in the flour. Then add the chicken to the pan and brown for two minutes, stirring all the time to make sure it doesn't stick.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the other ingredients. Then bring it to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook rice according to packet instructions.
Allergy advice: This recipe contains wheat (gluten).
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start and after handling raw meat, including poultry
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
- make sure that the chicken is cooked until steaming hot all the way through, that no pink meat is left and that any juices run clear
- cook the rice as required and use immediately, or cool within one hour, refrigerate, then use within 24 hours
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 dessert spoon plain flour
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- juice of 1 orange, or 75ml orange juice plus 25ml water
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 medium potatoes, cubed
- chopped parsley (optional)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 130g brown rice, raw
The reference intake of an average adult is 8400kJ/2000kcal a day.