Chilli Con Carne
A hot and spicy filler that's high on flavour but low in salt.
- Brown the mince over a gentle heat, stirring to stop it from sticking.
- Add the onion and garlic to the mince and cook for two to three minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and spices. Bring the sauce to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Add the chopped pepper and sliced mushrooms and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the drained kidney beans and simmer for another five minutes.
- Add the pepper to taste and serve with boiled rice.
Other options: Serve any leftover sauce with baked potatoes.
Allergy advice: Allergy advice is not applicable to this recipe.
Food safety tips
- Always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food and after handling raw meat.
- Keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread.
- Any leftovers should be cooled within one to two hours and placed in the fridge (for up to two days) or frozen.
- When reheating, always make sure that the dish is steaming hot all the way through before serving.
- Never reheat food more than once.
- ½ tbsp oil
- 100g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small can of kidney beans
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 150g basmati rice, raw